powered by FreeFind

Leeds Hunslet Junction to Midland (Hunslet Lane) Goods
1840 - 1976
Midland Railway
Contributors:   Reproduction prohibited / Rikj / Phill Davison / Michael Kaye / David Webdale

The Route
Hunslet Junction on the Midland Railway Leeds - Derby line to Hunslet lane goods.
Hunslet lane was the original terminus for the Leeds to Derby railway. See also Leeds Derby

Length
500 yards.

Original Company
George Hudsons North Midland Railway.
The North Midland Railway later joined with the Midland Counties railway & Derby Junction railway & became the Midland Railway.

Openings 
July 1840 between Hunslet Lane terminus & Derby.

Closures
Passengers - 1846 when passenger traffic was  transferred to Leeds Wellington station.
Freight - 1976.
Midland Hunslet Lane Goods OS Map 1980
Crown Point portal (17-07-05)  Rikj    Websites -   http://www.darkplaces.co.uk/    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rikj/
Part of Original Leeds & Derby railway. The Midland Goods Station is now Crown Point Retail Park.
The portal to the cutting is at GB Grid SE303323. Hunslet Junction at the other end of the cutting is at GB Grid SE304319.
Crown Point portal (n.d) : Malcolm Mallison
Cutting behind Crown Point Retail Park Taken on old Leica.
Jack lane bridge (2006) : Phill Davison
Hunslet Midland goods cutting from 2006 when the cutting had been sold at auction.
The vegetation had been cleared away with some landfill removed from the Jack lane bridge.
Crown Point portal (n.d) : Malcolm Mallison
Cutting behind Crown Point Retail Park Taken on old Leica.
Leathley Road bridge (17-07-05) Rikj
The cutting has three road bridges crossing it, from north to south - Ivory Street,  Leathley Road,  Jack Lane.
Leathley Road bridge (17-07-05) Rikj
The Jack Lane bridge has had earth filled up under the bridge.The Crown Point end is at the back of the retail park and there is a security fence and gates. The cutting was recently sold at auction by Pugh & Company on behalf of BRB (Residuary) Ltd. Guide price 83,000, went for 138,000. It was sold as being suitable for landfill.
Ivory street bridge (2006) : Phill Davison
The cutting was fairly substantial, four tracks wide lined with a deep stone retaining wall along it's 500yd length from the goods depot to the midland main line connection. The cutting is now used for storing civil engineering plant machinery.
Hunslet Goods (1963) : JB303
A choice shot from jb303 on Flickr - http://flickr.com/photos/thanoz/2464257744/

Home