powered by FreeFind

York
1839 - Present

North Eastern Railway
Contributors:   Reproduction prohibited  / Roy Lambeth  / David Webdale
York

York station
Opened 1877
York station Pre 1908 : Roy Lambeth    Website - www.dmm.org.uk/mindex.htm
York (14-05-67) : Roy Lambeth
61337 & 61030
York (18-02-67) : Roy Lambeth
1st photo 62046, 2nd photo 61337 & 61021
York MPD (18-02-67) : Roy Lambeth
62028 & 62001 at York MPD
York MPD (1965) : Roy Lambeth
York MPD 1965
York station c1980 : David Webdale
55s aplenty in those days.
York station c1980 : David Webdale
York station c1980 : David Webdale
York station c1980 : David Webdale
47 looking all purpose full like.
York station c1980 : David Webdale
Class 08s
York c1980 : David Webdale
Newcastle bound Passenger trains taken from Water End road bridge facing York.
York c1980 : David Webdale
Newcastle bound Passenger trains taken from Water End road bridge facing York.
A good gricing spot as the driver often gave the engines a handfull as they approached the straight.
York c1980 : David Webdale
York bound 55 trundles under Water End road bridge.
Between York & Church Fenton c1980 : David Webdale
Fun with trains. Racing on the 4 track section between York & Church Fenton. I liked those days.

Old York Station
Opened 04-01-1841 Closed 1877
Old York Station (25-04-11) : David Webdale
Taken from the city wall next to Station road. The buildings which bridged from one side to the other have been demolished allowing a view into the terminus, the remnants of which can be seen on the second & third storey levels. This original station was opened on the 4th of January 1841. The architect was George Townsend Andrews. The original train shed was made of iron & was demolished in 1965. The fancy building in the background is the original NER head office, see photo's below.
Old York Station (09-02-13) : David Webdale
Taken from same spot as above couple of years later.
Old York Station (09-02-13) : David Webdale
Taken from around the other side. Close up of the re- instated canopies. originally butted up to the back of the hotel. See aerial photo
Old York Station
Aerial photo showing original position of canopies before the new build.
Old York Station (25-04-11) : David Webdale
Closer view shows where the glass canopies butted up to the end buildings. The obvious later additions going across the window.
The tracks into the old station remained in use up until 1965 for carriage storage & the railway buildings were converted into offices.
Old York Station (25-04-11) : David Webdale
View of the Buildings on Tanner Row.
Old York Station (25-04-11) : David Webdale
Taken from the city wall next to Station Rise. The war memorial, built by the NER & the station behind.
George Hudson House visible in the background.
Old York Station (25-04-11) : David Webdale
Taken from the city wall next to Station Rise, NER head office on the left. The building on the right, clad in sheeting, is the hotel part of the station, designed by G.T Andrews. This was completed in 1853 and was the first hotel to be incorporated into a railway station. After a visit by Queen Victoria, it was named The Royal Station Hotel.
Old York Station (09-02-13) : David Webdale
Taken from same spot as above couple of years later, after the sheeting is removed.
Old York Station (09-02-13) : David Webdale
From road level.
Old York Station (09-02-13) : David Webdale
From road level, facing the other way.
Old York Station (09-02-13) : David Webdale
Doorway
NER head office (25-04-11) : David Webdale
Taken from Station Rise. The grand headquarters of the North Eastern Railway. It took 6 years to build & was completed in 1906.
The architect was Horace Field who worked along side NER's company architect William Bell.  Inside there are marble floors and Roman style mosaics.
The main doorway, visible on the right of photo, faces the old station.
NER head Office (09-02-13) : David Webdale
Close up of the NER crest, under the middle bay window, shows the three constituent companies amalgamated in 1854.
They are - Top, York & North Midland Railway. Left, Leeds Northern Railway. Right, York Newcastle & Berwick Railway.
NER head Office (25-04-11) : David Webdale
The doorway facing the old station. After nationalisation this building was used as British Rail's northern headquarters, later to be used by private rail operators. The Strategic Rail Authority sold the building in 2005 ending 100 years of railway ownership.
The Strategic Rail Authority was abolished on the 1st December 2006.
Old York Station (25-04-11) : David Webdale
Taken from the city wall above the 1839 archways & facing back towards Holgate Bridge junction. The railway alignment passing under Queen street clearly visible from this angle. The new 1877 York station on the right & the Queen street locomotive works on the left. The whole area around the George Hudson house & George Stephenson House (behind me here) seems to be fenced off from every angle, only Network Rail vehicles are visible.
Old York Station (25-04-11) : David Webdale
View from the other side of Queen street, next to the locomotive works.
Visible beyond Queen street is the city wall.
Old York Station (25-04-11) : David Webdale
Close up of the arches under Queen street.
Old York Station city wall (25-04-11) : David Webdale
With the approval of the Yorkshire philosophical Society, G.T Andrews, designer of the old station, designed these 70ft neo- Tudor archways through the city wall. In 1839 it was decided the work should be carried out by direct labour under the supervision of Andrews at a cost of 1960. George Stephenson House on the right in the first photo.
Old York Station city wall (25-04-11) : David Webdale
Small hut next to the wall, looks a bit railwayesque to me.

Queen Street railway museum
Queen Street railway museum, York. (nd) : Harry Naylor Holroyd   See also Vintage Carriages
Inside the old Queen Street railway museum, York. Unknown date. The museum had been opened in 1922 by the North Eastern Railway.
Queen street locomotive works (25-04-11) : David Webdale
Taken from the city wall. This was the original York railway museum up until 1975 when the National Railway Museum was opened at Leeman Road.

Home