powered by FreeFind

The Keighley & Worth Valley Railway
1968 - Present
Contributors:  © Reproduction prohibited / Malcolm Mallison / Paul Holroyd
Most things on this page & many other contributions throughout the site, kindly donated by Paul Holroyd of  Vintage Carriages Trust (VCT). The trust owns and operates the Museum of Rail Travel at Ingrow, near Keighley, West Yorkshire BD21 5AX     website - www.vintagecarriagestrust.org
See also :  Multiple Units    Transperience    Vintage Carriages Trust

Lost and found

British Railways closed the Keighley - Oxenhope (Worth Valley) branch to passengers on Saturday 30th December 1961, the last train leaving Keighley at 11.15 pm for the journey to Oxenhope. This "Saturdays only" train normally returned to Keighley "empty stock", but return tickets were issued and it carried passengers back to Keighley, calling at all stations.

On Saturday 29th June 1968 the line was re-opened by the volunteers of the Keighley & Worth valley Railway Preservation Society.
the re-opening train was hauled by Ivatt Class 2 locomotive no 41241 (leading), and USA tank no 30072 (train engine).

The re-opening special consisted of six carriages:

Southern Railway Brake third no 3554 (now owned by VCT of Ingrow) http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=490

Pullman Parlour First "Zena" http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=2245

Pullman Parlour Third "Lorna" http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=2248

London, Midland & Scottish Railway Third no 12066 http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=694

Metropolitan Railway Third no 465 (now owned by VCT of Ingrow) http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=1082

Metropolitan Railway Brake Third no. 427 (now owned by VCT of Ingrow) http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=1081
 
Maps
Ingrow stations map (1890) : Malcolm Mallison
6 inch maps from the 1890 survey. Both stations shown. see also Queensbury Keighley section
Oakworth station map (1890) : Malcolm Mallison
6 inch maps from the 1890 survey.
Keighley & Worth Valley tickets
Keighley & Worth Valley Stock Books

Keighley & Worth Valley Stock Books

Push and Pull magazine
The first edition of the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway's house magazine,
Push and Pull, has been reprinted several times over the years.  Here is the much rarer issue no. 2
Push and Pull magazine
The first issue of Push and Pull to be published after the re-opening of the branch featured USA 0-6-0 tank no 30072 on the cover. This was one of two locomotives which hauled the re-opening special train
Push and Pull magazine
The EMI version of The Railway Children, with Jenny Agutter and Bernard Cribbins, really put the branch line on the map.
The Autumn 1970 edition included a feature on the making of the film.
Push and Pull magazine
Colour cover on the Summer 1973 edition of Push and Pull, with ex-Great Western Railway pannier tank no. 5775 in its Railway Children livery.
Push and Pull magazine
Colour covers became a permanent feature from the Spring 1981 issue of Push and Pull.
Push and Pull magazine
Worth Valley Guides
Worth Valley timetables
1968 - 1970
Worth Valley timetables
1971 - 1979
Worth Valley timetables
1980 - 1984
Worth Valley timetables
1984 - 1987
Worth Valley timetables
1987 - 1997
Worth Valley timetables
1998 - 2005
Worth Valley timetables
2005 - 2008
Worth Valley Gradient profile
Vintage Locomotives & Carriages
Two carriages from the Ingrow Museum of Rail Travel form a special train at Platform 4, Keighley.
The carriages are a Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway tri-composite of 1876 vintage, and a Great Northern Railway Brake Composite built in 1898. The locomotive is no. 47279, built in 1924 at the Vulcan Foundry, Newton-le-Willows for the London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
Vintage Carriages
Another view of the same special train. Note the signalbox from Shipley Bingley Junction on Platform 3.
Black 5 (28-04-84)
Visiting "Black Five" loco no 5305, designed by Sir William A. Stanier, runs round its train at Keighley 28 April 1984.
Black 5 (28-04-84)
Visiting "Black Five" loco no 5305, designed by Sir William A. Stanier, backs onto its train at Keighley, 28 April 1984.
Headboard (28-04-84)
Affixing the Northolt Model Railway Club's headboard to LMS design 8F no 8431 designed by Sir William A. Stanier, at Keighley. Note the two sleeping cars awaiting disposal in the turntable road. 28 April 1984.
Metropolitan Railway Carriages (28-04-84)
Metropolitan Railway Carriages 465 and 427, now on display at the Ingrow Museum of Rail Travel,
provide the accommodation for the Northolt Model Railway Club. Keighley 28 April 1984.
Sleeping cars Keighley (c1984)
Old sleeping cars await disposal at Keighley, 1984.
See http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=954
http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=953
Keighley 28 April 1984
Brussels, Keighley (23-09-83)
Brussels, built in 1945 by Hudswell Clarke of Leeds for the Longmoor Military Railway in Hampshire,
takes water at Keighley 23 September 1983.
Brussels, Keighley (25-09-83)
Brussels, built in 1945 by HudswellClarke of Leeds for the Longmoor Military Railway in Hampshire 25 September 1983 Keighley.
 
Brussels, Keighley (31-03-84)
Brussels at Keighley 31 March 1984.
Brussels, Keighley (31-03-84)
Brussels 31 March 1984 Keighley.
 
Brussels, Keighley (31-03-84)
Brussels Keighley 31 March 1984.
Bulleid and Brussels, Keighley (31-03-84)
City of Wells, designed for the Southern Railway by Oliver Vaughn Snell Bulleid, and Brussels Keighley 31 March 1984.
Vulcan, Keighley (1980s)
Vulcan, a 500 h.p. prototype diesel locomotive built in 1956 by English Electric at Vulcan Foundry,. Newton-le-Willows.
The locomotive has been based on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway since March 1966.
Photographed at Platform 4, Keighley in the 1980s.
Railbus,Keighley (11-08-06)
Railbus built in 1958 by Waggon und Maschinenbau of Donauworth, West Germany. Keighley 11 August 2006.
Keghley station (10-94)
Platform 4 of Keghley station, photographed in October 1994.
The transport relics shop at the end of platform 4 relocated to Ingrow in June 2003
Plaque, Keighley station (07-08-06)
"1998 Independent Railway of the Year" plaque, displayed on Platform 4 of Keighley station. Photographed 7 August 2006.
Keighley station (07-08-06)
Next train departure indicator on Platform 4 of Keighley station. Photographed 7 August 2006.
B.R Standard Class 4MT (07-08-06)
British Railways Standard Class 4MT no. 80002, built at Derby in 1951 to the design of R.A. Riddles. Keighley 7 August 2006
Keighley station
Platform 3 of Keighley station, before the canopy was extended.
Keighley station
Platform 3 at Keighley, after the Garsdale turntable had been installed,
but before the Shipley Bingley Junction signalbox was moved to Keighley.
Keighley station, turntable
Keighley turntable and picnic area.
Keighley station, turntable
Keighley turntable.
Keighley station
The extended canopy on platform 4 of Keighley station, above the Transport Relics Shop.
The transport relics shop at the end of platform 4 relocated to Ingrow in June 2003
Keighley station
The newly extended canopy on Platform 4 at Keighley, with the Class 108 DMU.
Note the overhead live wires sign on the new canopy.
Ingrow West (12-06-82)
City of Wells enters the tunnel at Ingrow West, 12 June 1982. The original station buildings at Ingrow west were badly vandalised. However, the station building from Foulridge was dismantled and re-erected at Ingrow.
On 22 July 1989 the re-located station building was formally opened.
Easter 1990 saw the opening of Vintage Carriages Trust's museum at Ingrow.
On 31 March 2002, Ingrow Loco Museum, owned by the Bahamas Locomotive Society, opened for business.
Poster
Poster explaining how the station building from Foulridge was rebuilt at Ingrow West.

A series of photos showing how Ingrow Railway Centre has developed over the years.

As well as being the location of two museums, Ingrow Railway Centre has been used for a number of vintage vehicle displays,
often featuring vehicles from the Keighley Bus Museum Collection.
 
Ingrow Railway Centre
Ingrow Railway Centre
Ingrow is also where visiting locomotives are unloaded from road trailers.
Visiting Western Region "Warship" class D 832 Onslaught is unloaded at Ingrow Railway Centre.
London Transport buses
Todmorden and London Transport buses join forces with an LMS loco and a shire horse.
Signal box
Signal box about to leave Ingrow Railway Centre.
Crank-ups
The Aire Valley Vintage Machinery Club holds regular "crank-ups" of stationary engines at Ingrow Railway Centre
Lost Beers Of West Yorkshire
Do you remember Ramsden's Stone Trough Ales?
CWX 671, a Bristol of Keighley - West Yorkshire with lowbridge bodywork
(upstairs there are bench seats for 4 people and a sunken side gangway)
Sir Berkeley
Sir Berkeley, built by Manning wardle of Leeds, together with Lord Mayor, built by Hudswell Clarke of Leeds and the North Eastern Railway inspection saloon which was featured in the 1970 EMI film of The Railway Children. Note the wooden doors of the museum building.
VCT museum
Inside the VCT museum at Ingrow, before the purpose-built central viewing platform was introduced
VCT museum
Before the shop and magazine room were added to the VCT museum.
Coal Tank
London & North Western Railway "Coal Tank" no. 1054 on a Vintage Train at Ingrow West.
VCT museum
A general view showing both museums at Ingrow.
VCT museum
Note the wooden doors on the front of the museum.
VCT museum
The VCT museum in October 1994, before the sidways extension was built.
VCT museum
Metropolitan Railway no. 1 and Sir Berkeley.
VCT museum
Building phase 2 of the VCT museum, August 1995. Note the Thornycroft lorry.
VCT museum
After Phase 3 of the VCT museum had been built.
VCT museum
Building Phase 2 of the VCT museum, August 1995.
VCT museum
Ex Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 0-6-0, as BR bno. 52044 hauls vintage carriages out of the Museum of Rail Travel at Ingrow West.
VCT museum
Great Northern Railway 2856 at Ingrow before restoration.

See http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=863
Halifax buses
Halifax buses, now preserved by the Kerighley Bus Museum. - www.kbmt.org.uk
The Halifax buses were previously at Transperience Low Moor.
Hudswell Clarke (04-06-07)
Two very different locomotives built by Hudswell Clarke of Leeds: Lord Mayor of 1893 and D 2511 of 1961
4 June 2007.
Railbus (09-09-06)
Railbus leaves the Ingrow Museum of Rail Travel, 9 September 2006.
Damems
The tiny station at Damems closed to passengers in 1949, so it never had totems in British Railways days.
Damems signalbox (c1990)
The signalbox was originally located at Earby Crossing on the Skipton - Colne line.
The station building in this 1990s photo was originally a checker's office inside Keighley goods shed.
It has since been replaced by a replica of the original Damems building of Midland Railway days.
Damems
The platform at Damems is only long enough to accommodate one carriage, and normally sees very few passengers.
The structure at the end of the platform has been replaced by an attractive curved-roofed lamp room.
Damems (03-08-07)
Damems station on 03 August 2007.
Damems (04-02)
The replica of the Midland Railway building can be seen in this view, taken in April 2002 during filming of The Hound of the Baskervilles, with vintage Great Northern and Metropolitan Railway carriages from the Ingrow Museum of Rail Travel, together with the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 0-6-0.
Damems (27-01-08)
The replica Midland Railway station building at Damems 27 January 2008.
Damems (27-01-08)
The lamp hut at Damems station 27 January 2008.
Damems
The level crossing gates at Damems. Immediately beyond the crossing gates, on private land, is a Great Northern Railway carriage body.
Damems
One half of the Great Northern Railway carriage body, located on private property near Damems station. Until 1996,
the carriage was located in the Doncaster area, and sadly its occupier was murdered.
See http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=2516
Damems Junction (01-02)
Immediately after the level crossing at Damems station, there is the passing ;loop at Damems Junction.
Here we see Taff Vale Railway no. 85 hauling carriages from the Midland, Manchester Sheffield & Lincolnshire and Great Northern Railways, during the filming of Turner - the Man Who Painted Britain in January 2002.
If you look out of the train window when you are at the passing loop, you can see the trackbed of the Great Northern Railway Keighley – Queensbury route disappearing into the stone portal of Lees Moor Tunnel. See Queensbury to Keighley page
Oakworth (c1980)
In 1968 BBC TV filmed The Railway Children at Oakworth station, which was renamed Meadow Vale for the series.
For the 1970 EMI film Oakworth was allowed to retain its real identity.  Oakworth has changed very little since this 1980s view.
Oakworth (13-06-82)
Oakworth 13 June 1982, with period advertisements to the fore.
Oakworth (13-06-82)
Oakworth 13 June 1982.
Oakworth (13-06-82)
"West Country" pacific City of Wells, designed by Oliver Vaughan Snell Bulleid, steams into Oakworth 13 June 1982.
Oakworth (13-06-82)
City of Wells leaves Oakworth with a train for Damems, Ingrow West and Keighley, 13 June 1982.
Oakworth (01-02)
Oakworth continues to be popular with film companies.
Taken during the making of Turner - the Man Who Painted Britain, January 2002.
Ingrow Museum of Rail Travel (04-06-07)
Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway no. 957, together with vintage carriages from the Ingrow Museum of Rail Travel.
Taken during the filming of Brideshead Revisited on 4 June 2007.
Click here for further details about the filming - http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/film07brideshead.htm
Ingrow Museum of Rail Travel (04-06-07)
Vintage carriages from the Ingrow Museum of Rail Travel at Oakworth, 4 June 2007.
Film crew, Mytholmes
The film crew alight from the train at Mytholmes curve during the filming of Turner - the Man Who Painted Britain.
Haworth (c1990)
Haworth yard, possibly 1990s.
Haworth (nd)
Mark 1 BG in Haworth yard. Undated.
Haworth (nd)
Class 08 diesel, Brussels and D 5209 in Haworth yard. Undated.
Haworth (nd)
44767 in Haworth new shed. Undated.
Haworth (nd)
48431 arrives at Haworth station. Undated.
Haworth, Gresley
Sir Nigel Gresley’s corridor tender in seen in this view in Haworth yard.
Haworth, Gresley
A4 pacific no. 4498, named after its designer, Sir Nigel Gresley, is seen in Haworth yard.
Haworth, Gresley
Cleaning out the smokebox of A4 pacific no 4498, Sir Nigel Gresley, at Haworth.
Oxenhope (20-06-81)
Oxenhope 20 June 1981 with ex Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 0-6-0 no. 957 and ex Manchester Ship Canal no. 67 nearest the camera.
Oxenhope, U.S. Army (20-06-81)
Ex U.S. Army Transportation Corps S.160 class 2-6-0 no 5820 at Oxenhope 20 June 1981.
The locomotive was built in 1945 by Lima of Ohio, U.S.A. The loco became Polish Railways Tr203-474. In 1975 it received a new boiler from an Alco locomotive of the same type, and the boiler still carries the original maker’s plate on the smokebox. The locomotive arrived at Haworth in November 1977, and the following year it was used for sequences in the film “Yanks”.
Oxenhope (20-06-81)
Carriages at Oxenhope 20 June 1981: ex London Midland & Scottish Railway no. 12066 (built in 1938 at Wolverton); Metropolitan-Cammell diesel multiple unit buffet trailer no. 59575 (built in 1960); a Mark 1 Tourist Second Open, and a Mark 1 Suburban Brake Second (built in 1955 at York)
Oxenhope (13-06-81)
“West Country” pacific no. 34092 City of Wells at Oxenhope 13 June 1982.
Oxenhope (25-09-83)
Mark 1 Restaurant Miniature Buffet no. 1836 at Oxenhope, 25 September 1983. The carriage was built at Wolverton in 1960.
Further details:
http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=1144
Oxenhope (14-01-84)
Oxenhope carriage sidings on a wintry 14 January 1984, with ex-Metropolitan Railway no. 465 and Midland Railway no. 358
(built at Derby in 1886) exposed to the elements.
These carriages are usually on public display at the Ingrow Museum of Rail Travel.
Oxenhope (31-03-84)
British Railways railbus, built in 1958 by Waggon und Maschinenbau of Donauworth, West Germany.
Photographed at Oxenhope 31 March 1984.
Oxenhope (31-03-84)
The carriage sidings at Oxenhope on 31 March 1984, with Metropolitan Railway Brake Third no. 427 on the right in front of the carriage workshop. This carriage has been used in many filming assignments, and is normally on public display at the Ingrow Museum of Rail Travel.
Oxenhope (28-04-84)
Ex – Metropolitan Railway First Class carriage no. 509 undergoing restoration at Oxenhope on 28 April 1984. Nowadays, it is difficult to imagine that parts of the London Undergound had First Class accommodation, but First Class survived on the Underground until October 1941. The Metropolitan Railway even had two Pullman cars, Mayflower and Galatea, which were used until 1939. This particular carriage survived in passenger service until September 1961. Nowadays the carriage is in varnished teak livery and it is usually on public display at the Ingrow Museum of Rail Travel.
Further details
http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=1083
Oxenhope (28-04-84)
LMS no. 8431 runs round at Oxenhope 28 April 1984.
Oxenhope (28-04-84)
The Northolt Model Railway Club’s headboard on LMS no. 8431 at Oxenhope, 28 April 1984.
Oxenhope (28-04-84)
The carriage sidings at Oxenhope 28 April 1984. A carriage shed now occupies the area on the right.
Oxenhope (28-04-84)
English Electric diesel Vulcan shunts Restaurant Miniature Buffet no. 1836 at Oxenhope Carriage Workshops, 28 April 1984.
Oxenhope (29-12-85)
43924 at Oxenhope, Sunday 29 December 1985. Photo: Paul Holroyd collection.
Oxenhope (30-12-85)
Ex Haydock Foundry 0-6-0 well tank Bellerophon at Oxenhope Monday 30 December 1985.
Oxenhope (nd)
The KWVR’s dining train in Oxenhope carriage sidings. Undated.
Oxenhope (c1980)
Pullman Parlour Third Mary , built in 1930 at Smethwick by the Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. Ltd.
Photographed in the 1980s at Oxenhope carriage sidings.
Oxenhope (c1980)
Oxenhope carriage platform in the 1980s, with Metropolitan Railway Brake Third no. 427.
Oxenhope (c1980)
The class 08 diesel at Oxenhope carriage sidings. 1980s.

Home