Routes By Company
Northern Railway (G.N.R) Lines
Adwalton - Wakefield
From Wrenthorpe south junction on the Doncaster
to Leeds Line 3/4 of a mile north of Wakefield
Westgate, to Adwalton Junction, on the GN Wakefield
via Alverthorpe, Flushdyke, Ossett, Chickenley Heath,
Batley GN, Upper Batley & Howden Clough. GNR
1864. Photo : Andrew Stopford.
Ardsley to Laisterdyke
From Laisterdyke, east of Bradford, to Ardsley
via Dudley Hill, Birkenshaw & Tong,
Drighlington & Adwalton, Adwalton junction,
Gildersome, Morley Top & Tingley. GNR
1857. Photo : Dennis Sefton.
Batley to Beeston
From Batley west junction to Tingley west
junction via Woodkirk,
& from Tingley east junction to Beeston
junction. GNR 1890. Photo : Simon Edgerton.
Beeston Junction -
From Beeston Junction on the GNR main line into
Leeds. The line turns east crosses the canal (on a
swing bridge) & the River Aire & turns
NW to terminate at Hunslet goods station a mile from
the city centre. GNR 1899. Photo's : David Webdale.
Dewsbury Loop (Ossett to
From Runtlings Lane Junction Ossett, to Batley west
junction & GNR
Via Earlseaton, Dewsbury Central & Batley Carr. G.N.R 1880.
Photo : Humphrey Burton
Laisterdyke to Shipley
From a triangular
junction at Laisterdyke east & Cutlers junction.
Via Eccleshill, Idle, Thackley & terminating at
Shipley and Windhill station.
Opened for goods in August 1874 & passengers in
April 1875. Photo : Bob Cockcroft
Leeds to Bradford (GNR)
From Leeds Central station to Bradford Adolphus
via Armley & Wortley, Bramley, Stanningley
& Laisterdyke. Opened throughout 1st
August 1854. Photo Dave Walbank.
Branch Lines from both Stanningley & Bramley to
Pudsey Greenside via Pudsey Lowtown. Later extended
to Cutlers junction to join
Pudsey Greenside Tunnel & cutting soon to be
backfilled. GNR 1893. Photo : Phill Davison.
Four pages of the GNR lines Between Queensbury,
Halifax, Bradford & Keighley.
- Halifax Queensbury
See Richard Barnes Holmfield photo's on the
Queensbury - Halifax page.
& Yorkshire Railway (L & Y.R) Lines
Calder Valley Main Line
From Manchester to Normanton. To keep the line flat
& straight it managed to avoid some big towns
like Halifax & Huddersfield. Built by the
L&Y in 1840.
Line still open but many stations lost. Photo :
Clayton West Branch
From Shepley, on the Huddersfield Pennistone line,
to Clayton West terminus. Opened in 1879 by the
L&Y, the line survived up to 1983.
It is now the Kirklees Light Railway. Photo : Bill
& Greetland - Low Moor
From Greetland junction to Low Moor, via
Halifax Shaw Syke, Halifax Old station,,
Hipperholme, Lightcliffe, Wyke & Norwood Green.
Also Dryclough junction to Milner Royd junction
section, via Copley. Photo : Bernard Coomber.
Cutsyke - Methley
From Methley Junction on the Midland Leeds to
Normanton line, via Lofthouse Junction, over the NER
line to Church Fenton,
& joined the NER line from Castleford at Cutsyke
Junction. L&Y 1849. Photo : Michael Kaye
From junction on the Huddersfield - Penistone
line near Brockholes, to Holmfirth terminus, via
Built by the L&Y, opened in 1850. Contains some
choice shots of Holmfirth station in the 1980s from
Horbury West Curve
At a little under 1¾ miles in length, Horbury West
Curve (known locally as the Crigglestone Curve)
provided a connection between the
Lancashire & Yorkshire’s main Todmorden-Wakefield
line and its branch to Barnsley. Opened by the L&Y
1902, disconnected in 1991.
Photo's : Graeme Bickerdike.
Huddersfield - Penistone
From Springwood junction on the Heaton Lodge to
Stalybridge line, to Penistone, on the Manchester to
Sheffield Woodhead line,
via Lockwood, Berry Brow, Honley, Brockholes,
Stocksmoor, Shepley & Denby Dale. Opened in 1850.
Photo : David Webdale.
From junction at Lockwood on the Penistone to
Huddersfield line, via Netherton, Healey House,
terminating at Meltham.
Opened by the L&Y in 1869, was closed to
passengers in May 1949 but remained open for David
Brown tractor freight up until April 1965. Photo's
from Julie Knowles.
Mirfield - Low
Moor (Cleckheaton branch)
From Mirfield via Northorpe, Liversedge,
Heckmondwike & Cleckheaton Central. Over 150
photo's of this stretch of line, including Mirfield
still plenty of left to see. Forms part of the Spen
Valley Greenway, so most of it easy walking. Photo :
Mark Anthony Astley collection.
North Dean Branch from Greetland junction to
Photo : Bernard Coomber.
Pickle Bridge Line
Pit Junction near Brighouse & Wyke. Opened by
the L&Y in 1881.
Some decent relics still left on this 3
¾ mile line. Also includes the
up of Wyke viaduct on page 2. Photo : David Webdale
Thornhill to Heckmondwike. Short but interesting
section of line with most bridges still intact.
Connected to the Leeds New Line at Heckmondwike in
1966 to supply the Charrington Hargreaves oil
terminal, now forms part of the Spen Valley
Greenway. Photo : Greame Walton.
Sowerby Bridge - Rishworth
An extension of the Sowerby Bridge to Ripponden
branch. L&Y 1881. Photo's : Richard Barnes.
Todmorden - Burnley
From Hall Royd junction east of Todmorden to
Gannow junction near Rose Grove Burnley, via Burnley
Opened by the Manchester and Leeds Railway on
12th November 1849. Photos : Bernard Coomber.
Wakefield - Goole
From Wakefield Westgate to Goole, via Pontefract.
Photo : David Ambler.
| London &
North Western Railway (L & N.W.R) Lines
| Batley to Birstall Lower
From Batley (Birstall Junction) to Birstall
Lower, 2 miles (single track) Opening Batley to
Birstall Lower, 30th September 1852.
Intermediate station at Carlinghow opened 1st April
1872. Photo : Allan Shaw.
Heaton Lodge to
From Heaton Lodge junction 3 miles east of
Huddersfield on the Calder Valley Main Line to
Opened throughout in 1849, the route takes in
Huddersfield & the 3 mile long Standedge
tunnels. Photos from : Phill Davison.
From Kirkburton junction 2 miles east of
Huddersfield station, on the L.N.W.R Huddersfield to
Heaton Lodge line,
to Kirkburton station (terminated) via Kirkheaton.
Length 4 1/2 miles, opened 7th October 1867.
Photo : David Webdale.
Leeds to Mirfield
From Dewsbury junction, east of Mirfield on the
Calder Valley mainline to Leeds Central station
Via Ravensthorpe, Dewsbury Wellington Road, Batley
& Morley Low. Opened September 1848. Photo :
Leeds New Line
Heaton Lodge junction Huddersfield & Farnley
junction Leeds. L.N.W.R 1900. Six pages &
loads of maps.
An in depth study of one of the regions youngest
lines. See the Gildersome
tunnel exploration on page six. Photo: Phill
| Midland Railway (M. R) Lines
Guiseley - Yeadon
Opened originally by the the Guiseley Yeadon &
Rawdon railway company on 26th Feb 1894.
The line was only ever used for goods traffic &
occasional excursions & was closed in 1964. Photo
: D Downs, M Neale collection.
Hunslet Midland goods
The former Midland Goods station is now the Crown
Point Retail Park Leeds. The cutting was recently sold
by Pugh & Company on behalf of BRB (Residuary)
Guide price £83,000, went for £138,000. It was sold as
being suitable for landfill. Photo : Phill Davison.
Leeds - Bradford
From Leeds Wellington station to Bradford
Forster Square, via Shipley.
Includes interior photos of the disused Thackley old
tunnel, from Phil Davison.
Leeds - Derby
Opened in July 1840. One of George Hudson's lines
built originally by the North Midland Railway
It connected with the York & North Midland line
at Altofts junction a mile north of Normanton. With
the L&Y Calder valley line joining south
at Goose Hill, the Victorians thought Normanton
would become big enough to rival Crewe. Photo :
Newtown Huddersfield & Mirfield
Jct. Midland 1910. In depth study with two pages
& maps. Photo Simon Green.
Dewsbury Savile town
Royston to Dewsbury Savile Town. Midland Railway
1906. The Midland planned to build its own mainline
Sheffield & Bradford to avoid the congested
areas around Leeds.
The L&Y later gave the Midland running powers on
its lines so the scheme was never completed. Photos
: Phill Davison.
Shipley - Skipton
From Shipley via Saltaire, Bingley, Thwaites,
Keighley, Steeton & Silsden, Kildwick &
Crosshills, Cononley to Skipton.
Opened by the Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway
company. The Skipton to Colne section closed in
1970. Photo Mark Neale.
Skipton - Ilkley
From Skipton to Ilkley via Embsay, Bolton Abbey,
Opened as an extension of the Otley Ilkley line by the
Midland railway in1888 : Michael Kaye.
Eastern Railway (N.E.R) Lines
Arthington to Otley
Via Pool in Wharfdale. The North Eastern Railway
began operating between Arthington & Otley on
Feburary 1st 1865. Photo's : Keith Rose.
Castleford - Garforth
Via Ledston, Bowers Halt & Kippax & Allerton
Bywater. NER 1878. The massive span of the cast iron
bridge is in a terrible condition.
Huge girders have split in half & the decking is
paper thin. I find it amazing that fully laden coal
trains were using this bridge
as little as 14yr's ago. Photo's : Graeme Bickerdike.
Church Fenton - Harrogate
The first railway to be closed by Dr Beeching in 1964.
N.E.R 1848. Includes some choice interior shots of
Photo's : Phill Davison. Brunswick Tunnel & Air
Raid Shelter exploration, the latest scoop for the
Leeds Historical Expedition Society.
Make sure to see Phills blog - links within.
Leeds to Harrogate
Headingley, Horsforth, Arthington & Bramhope
tunnel. N.E.R 1849. Photo : Malcolm Mallison.
Leeds to Selby
From Marsh Lane, Leeds to Selby. Opened by Leeds
& Selby Railway company in 1834. Photo : David
Leeds to Wetherby
From junction on Leeds Selby at Cross Gates to
Wetherby, via Penda’s Way, Scholes, Thorner,
Bardsey, & Collingham Bridge.
N.E.R 1876. Photo's : Malcolm Mallison.
Knaresborough - Starbeck
From Poppleton junction on the York to Darlington
line to Knaresborough & from Knaresborough
NER 1848. Photos : Malcolm Mallison
Holmfield to St Pauls
Built originally by the Halifax High Level Railway
company 1890. Photo : Richard Barnes
Lofthouse junction to
Lofthouse & Outwood
A five mile joint NER L&Y & GNR venture
opened in to freight in 1865 & passengers in
Closed to passengers in 1957, but kept open for
freight up until 1981. Photo : Dave Watson.
Otley to Ilkley
Joint North Eastern & Midland Railway, opened in
The two companies combined to construct & manage
a joint line between Otley & Ilkley. Photo :
| East & West Yorkshire Union
Railway (Colliery Lines)
| East & West Yorkshire
Consisting of branches, it served the Robin Hood
& Newmarket collieries, although a section of
the line had a short lived passenger service.
The E&WYUR was opened in 1891 & remained an
independent company until the LNER takeover in 1923.
Photo c/o Michael Kaye.
All maps, photo's & text subject to copyright